Wednesday 12 October 2016

Sunshine on a Rainy Day by Bryony Fraser

Sunshine on a Rainy Day

Sunshine on a Rainy Day by Bryony Fraser
Published: 8th September 2016
Publisher: Avon
Pages: 400
Available in Paperback and on Kindle
Rating: 4/5

Blurb
It’s Zoe and Jack’s first wedding anniversary party. They’ve got an announcement! They’re getting divorced.
Marriage isn’t for everyone – something that Zoe and Jack discovered only after they’d walked down the aisle. Bad timing, huh?
So now they’re stuck together in their once harmonious marital home, neither one of them willing to move out of their lovely house.
With Zoe’s three sisters always wanting a say, and Jack’s best friend trying his best to fix things between them, misunderstandings arise. Tempers flare. ‘Accidents’ happen…
Zoe and Jack are going to be lucky if they’re still alive when the twelve months are up. But maybe things aren’t quite as final as they seem?

Review
As soon as I read the blurb for this book I really wanted to read it as it sounded refreshingly different to the get married, live happily ever after storyline. In Sunshine on a Rainy Day Bryony Fraser as knocked this idea on its head and given us a story of matrimonial disaster.
Sunshine on a Rainy Day starts with Jack and Zoe announcing on their first wedding anniversary that they’re getting a divorce. We’re then taken back through the previous twelve months to relive their nightmare year of being married and find out exactly what went so wrong with these two people who were so in love. As we follow Jack and Zoe through their wedding and first year of marriage we are also given flashbacks of how these two met and how their relationship has developed over the last seven years, which was a brilliant way of storytelling as you could see those pivotal moments which had affected their feelings towards marriage.
Despite wanting to love this book I had one major problem with it, Zoe. I just didn’t like her at all. I really couldn’t get my head round why getting married changed her so much. Before the wedding she seemed a kind caring and devoted girlfriend who would do anything for Jack. After she became like a spoilt child when they don’t get their own way, moaning at Jack for everything, picking fights over silly things and always assuming he’s wrong without ever giving him chance to speak. I felt a bit like Jack and wondered where has his lovely Zoe gone and why. From the flashbacks I can kind of understand where she was coming from but I felt so sad for Jack that she never seemed to give their marriage a chance to work.
Apart from Zoe this is a really good read. Jack is such a lovely guy and totally someone I think most of us would enjoy being married to as he was so kind and considerate to Zoe even when she was being ridiculous. I also loved the other characters in the book, Zoe’s sisters and their own little dramas, but my favourite had to be Liz and her plan of dating a guy she hated so she’d appreciate the next guy more was so funny.
The pace of this book is quite fast and even though I kept putting it down as Zoe irritated me I found myself sneaking a couple of chapters when I got a chance as I kept wanting to see  what would happen next and after a couple of days I was finished.
With this book I felt a wide range of emotions, I laughed, I cried and I got mad. It is a book of love, friendship, family and above all following your instincts when something doesn’t feel right. I enjoyed it and am looking forward to seeing what Bryony Fraser comes up with next.
Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for this review copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment