Friday 24 February 2017

My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon

My Sweet Revenge

My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon
Published: 12th January 2017
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 416
Available in Paperback and on Kindle
Rating: 5/5

Blurb
I want to make my husband fall back in love with me.
Let me explain. This isn't an exercise in 1950s wifeydom. I haven't been reading articles in old women's magazines. 'Twenty ways to keep your man'. That couldn't be further from the truth.
I want him to fall back in love with me so that when I tell him to get the hell out of my life he'll care. He won't just think, 'Oh good'.
I want it to hurt.

Review
My Sweet Revenge by Jane Fallon is the story of Paula as she seeks revenge on her husband after finding out he’s having an affair. Paula innocently catches a text message on her husband’s phone implying he’s having an affair, which would probably send most women for the tissues and ice-cream, not Paula. She decides that she will get her own back on husband Robert and kick him where it really hurts in his ego! Paula begins to transform herself in a bid to make Robert fall in love with her, then she can tell him she knows what he’s been up to and kick him out for good.

I loved the sound of this book from the blurb and once reading it found it was very easy to get lost in all the twists and turns that this story takes. There were so many ups and downs it was like a rollercoaster ride, a very addictive ride as I found this book hard to put down. There were moments when I became a little confused as to what was actually happening as so many different versions of events are from different characters it was hard to keep everything straight in my head, but I love books like that and can see this is one which I will enjoy reading again.

I loved the transformation that Paula went on and found her a real inspiration. I know how hard it is to change something about yourself so kudos to her for really going for it. She went from the curvy, unfit, settling woman to one who loved her body and could run like the wind and she became strong enough to go for what she really wanted. There were a couple of times where I thought she was going to give up her plan and let Robert back in and I found myself wanting to shout at her “No don’t do It”. Because Robert was a horrible character, so self-absorbed and vain with very little interest in the lives of Paula or their lovely daughter Georgie that he didn’t deserve lovely Paula and I was so looking forward to her kicking him out.

There were times when I did feel Paula’s and some of the others characters antics were going a little too far and maybe immature but these provided some very humorous scenes which Jane Fallon can write so well and which made the book a joy to read. If you’re looking for a book with a strong feisty female then this is your book. It will make you laugh, cry and overall inspire you to be who you want to be and not take any stick off anyone. Women everywhere should read this book.

I’d like to thank the publishers, Netgalley and Jane Fallon for sending me a copy of this wonderful book to read and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment