Thursday 5 March 2015

Book Review - The Torn Up Marriage by Caroline Roberts

The Torn Up Marriage
 
The Torn Up Marriage by Caroline Roberts
Published: 5th March 2015
Publisher: Harper Impulse
Pages: 299
Available on Kindle
 
Blurb
Why do we hurt the ones we love, and can there ever be a way back?
“The Torn Up Marriage” is about betrayal, complacency, love and loss, and that key instinct to protect your family. But what happens when you tear that family apart? Kate and Michael are about to find out as they cope with the crushing fallout of his affair, whilst trying to protect their two young children. This powerful and poignant novel captures the explosiveness of everyday life and what it is to be human; to make mistakes.
Set in the historic town of Alnwick, Northumberland, with its stunning backdrop of castles, moorland hills and coastline, this relationship story of love and family takes you in a rollercoaster ride of emotions along with Kate and Michael.
Michael’s mother’s battle with breast cancer shatters them all, yet shows them how precious life, love and family is. Can they find a way back and fight for their battered yet enduring love?
So, what would you do if it happened to you? Could you betray? Could you forgive?


Review
The Torn Up Marriage is the tale of a marriage break up following an affair and how the two sides deal with the fallout from the betrayal. It details all the stages you would expect to go through after a break up including telling the parents, friends, getting back out in the world socially and the eventually meeting of the new partner.

The book starts with Kate making dinner and everything seeming normal but as the paragraphs unfolded you could actually feel her tension as she waits to confront her husband Michael about having an affair. I was totally gripped by this first chapter, it is exactly how I would imagine that scene playing out in real life and the build-up of tension as Kate wonders exactly how to start that awful conversation is just brilliant, I could actually feel my heart racing and was wondering what exactly Michael would do.

As Michael admits that yes he is having an affair and eventually packs his bags to move in with his mistress, you can feel Kate’s world crumble around her as her marriage is ripped apart. The story goes on to detail how both Kate and Michael deal with the break-up. Kate with her anger, loss and humiliation and the difficulty of trying to keep an everyday normal routine going for her two young girls when all she wants to do is drown her sorrows in a glass of wine. Michael with his guilt of ripping his family apart, watching the confusion in his daughter’s eyes’ as they think daddy’s left because he doesn’t love them anymore.

This is a book which deals with everyday emotions when life gets hard, it doesn’t sugar coat them either, some of these scenes are ugly, especially watching Kate turn to the alcohol more and more. They way this book was written sometimes had my stomach in knots with a feeling that something really bad would happen.

The thing I liked most about this book was the way the children were written about. Charlotte and Emily were such lovely innocent little girls that ended being so confused about what was going on and it wrenched at my heart to see them sad. This was very realistic to me and I’m glad it wasn’t glossed over.

The Torn Up Marriage is a book which had me emotionally involved right from the start and I really felt I was right there experiencing all the emotions myself. If you want a book that will really make you question what you would do in a similar situation this is it. Would you stay or go? Would you ever forgive? Would you be tempted in the first place?

I thought this book was brilliantly written and the emotions were spot on, cannot wait to read more from this author.  I would give this book 5/5, simply for the pure emotion it conveys.

Thank you to Harper Impulse for sending me an arc copy to read.

1 comment:


  1. I lives in uk and i was in a serious relationship with my ex guy for three good years.. One day we were in a dinner party, we had a little misunderstanding which lead to a Quarrel and he stood up and left me at the dinner party. i try to call him but he was not picking my calls so after than i contacted my brother and told him about it,my brother so much love me that he had to see him on my behalf,he told my brother that it is over between us.. Then i contacted a friend of mine that had this similar experience and she directed me to one of the spiritual diviner (DR_MACK@YAHOO.COM).at first i thought it was not going to be possible and i contacted him i was ask to come up with a little requirement,so i did what i was ask to do, after 3 days i was in my office when my ex guy called me and was asking me to forgive him and come back to him. i was very surprise it was like a dream to me

    ReplyDelete